View Single Post
Old 10-27-16, 08:45 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
...I never saw any accidents or injuries caused by a cyclist running a red light or stop sign in 60+ years of cycling and crossing streets when I felt it was safe, regardless of the traffic light/stop sign.
I have about 45 years experience cycling in a city grid where cyclists running red lights and stop signs is the norm by far. Like 99% go when they can. Of course, the local motorists are used to it and I believe generally grateful in most cases, especially when negotiating a dozen stop signs, one at every corner for half a mile. I can't really TRUST any motorist to grant me right of way when I don't have it, but more often than not I get waved through, or I wave them through far in advance.

My point (finally)...45 years in a city grid witnessing tens of thousands of cyclists running red lights and never seen a problem with it. Once or twice a year the news may report on a cyclist getting killed running a red AND going contraflow at the same time (how would he/she KNOW the light was red anyway?). Other than that...no issues.

Also, a friend of my just got back from a honeymoon in Italy. In Rome, he claims, even motorized scooters are exempt from obeying the lights. Looks like mayhem at first glance but he never saw anyone hit.

Seems to me the Boogeyman still resides under some adult's beds.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-27-16 at 09:29 AM.