Old 10-28-16, 12:24 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Let's not over exaggerate. Right of way is poorly followed here, but it could be a lot worse. Anyone who dismisses the concept altogether is simply adding to the problem. Do you want India traffic in Shanghai?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM
Worse? Heh, that video looks quite sane actually, no accidents even. No false expectations about right of way, the biggest vehicle wins everytime, even most animals understand this concept. BTW where are the cows, elephants and other animals? I've encountered many animals on Chinese roads, not just the human variety.

The only real solution is completely automated motorised vehicle traffic, something that is possible now, however the public isn't sufficiently trained to accept it.

Here is a perfect example of a cyclist in Minnesota that had right of way, however if the motorist had failed to hit the brakes it would have ended up much worse.

My response to such a situation after living in China would be to cut left and go around them, when it became clear that they had no intention of stopping. (the video shows this happens before the cyclist enters the intersection, as he was also aware of this by using his voice)

So yeah, if you think you can get others to follow the traffic rules, more power to you. In China its a lost cause that will only end in failure.

Here are the elephants.

Last edited by SHBR; 10-28-16 at 06:05 AM.