View Single Post
Old 10-30-16, 06:50 AM
Sharpshin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, all things must pass, including good things, at length I was off of the cliffs....

...and all that remained was a wet and soggy trudge back to Doolin.

It was dusk and drizzling when I made it back to town. On the main drag there was a pub which, when I had first seen it the evening before I had thought "Huh, that looks like one of those fake Irish pubs", until I remembered where I was

At this time in the evening it was packed, but not with the college-age crowd but rather with the sort of upscale folk that had made me nervous by passing me so close and in a hurry the afternoon before on the ride in. I'm embarrassed for their sake that when I walked in, dripping water from every fold and looking like a drowned rat, I was looked at askance, by patrons and bartenders alike.

Well "f*** 'em (sorry about the language, I think I was learning Irish ), I squeezed into the corner of a table, ordered something Irish with beef that fer the life of me I cannot recall the name, and settled in to watch a European football cup soccer game (likewise, I forget now who was playing). One other good thing there, in the main room traditional music broke out.

Now I'm sure these guys were on a payroll, this being a very touristy location after all, but they did play very well.

Mike