Old 10-31-16, 01:39 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrYummieandMe
OK, well this thread has been resurrected a few times, and this one I'm doing isn't the longest pull from dormancy, LOL! I'm trying to figure out how to convert an old Burley trailer from an axle mount hitch system, to a seat post mount system, as used on the Travoy. My new touring bike, the Marrakesh, while great, is absolutely incompatible with the old-school Y-hitch and rebuilding the rear hub to accommodate a longer axle so I can use the Burley Steel Hitch connector seems an unreasonable length to go. I read this thread with interest. I'm thinking I could bend some aluminum tubing into a seatpost-connector arm that I'd mount to the old trailer. It seems to me that the Travoy mount only allows for side-to-side play. How does the trailer/Travoy stay on the ground when the bike leans, as in a turn? Doesn't the hitch need to allow for more of a universal rotation? I'd appreciate the insight of anyone who has experimented with adapting to a seatpost mounting system, as done in the thread. How did you overcome the physics involved, here? How does the Travoy do it?
Bending aluminium is something I would not do. I have bent steel but you need to read about it so the tube does not collapse. Plug one end, fill it with sand, plug other end and bend arould a pre made piece of wood that is securely fixed to something solid. Try Instructables - DIY How To Make Instructions