View Single Post
Old 10-31-16, 01:31 PM
J Boz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keg61
Hello e-folks, I know next to nothing about e-bikes, so i apologise if this a stupid question... is there a danger of damaging a powered wheel by coasting at speed when it is not engaged, turned on, whatever the proper terminology is? I live on a pretty good sized hill and am considering some type of e-drive for my tricycle, I think a mid drive would suit the project best but will probably end up going with an e-wheel. My concern is that I can visualize easily exceeding30-35mph going down this hill,would that be a problem? when the wheel is not under power is it in a true neutral or could it be damaged by the speed? the drive is needed to come back up the hill on a more circuitous route, I don't think it would climb the direct route
No, damage at all. ebike hub motors can be run over 100kmh no problem.

You can choose a direct drive which has less moving parts so more reliable or a geared hub motor which has a clutch like system. If you are riding on road a geared motor will be fine especially if you are wanting to stay around the 1kw area. Geared hubs have almost no drag when coasting but can't have regen like direct hub motors do.