Old 11-01-16, 03:19 PM
colotandem

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldacura
When I decided to go to electronic shifting on our new tandem, I automatically went with Ultegra Di2. I never considered SRAM.

Now with most everything, I assume there are advantages & disadvantages to each. Is there a thread on the tandem forum that makes a comparison (particularly with respect to tandem application)?
I think it's too new to have that thread. I found some comparative reviews - probably not many unbiased reviews and none that I have found related to tandem specifically.

My take on it is this. I like new technology. I like the simplicity (no wires). I've been a big user of Sram for some time now. I've heard that the way that the shifters work is VERY intuitive (we'll see).

Will it be very different than Di2? Who knows... But it will be difficult to get real world comparisons because most users will choose one or the other (its binary). It will be a small sampling of users that will try both and a MUCH smaller sampling that will try both on a tandem.

I've been eyeing the electronic shifting since we commissioned our new tandem frame back in 2012. I was unsure about moving from 3x to 2x, so I built it with 2x mechanical to see if I'd be ok with the wider range cassette (larger jumps in number of cog teeth). I have been very happy with the 2x and wanted to make the move to electronic.

I almost bought some close out Ultegra Di2 bits last year, but never pulled the trigger. I'll post some detailed review of my experience when the time is right, but it will surely be biased.

More to come...