Old 11-02-16, 08:46 AM
mtseymour

Bikes: 2022 Calfee Tetra, 2023 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by colotandem
I think it's too new to have that thread. I found some comparative reviews - probably not many unbiased reviews and none that I have found related to tandem specifically.

My take on it is this. I like new technology. I like the simplicity (no wires). I've been a big user of Sram for some time now. I've heard that the way that the shifters work is VERY intuitive (we'll see).

Will it be very different than Di2? Who knows... But it will be difficult to get real world comparisons because most users will choose one or the other (its binary). It will be a small sampling of users that will try both and a MUCH smaller sampling that will try both on a tandem.

I've been eyeing the electronic shifting since we commissioned our new tandem frame back in 2012. I was unsure about moving from 3x to 2x, so I built it with 2x mechanical to see if I'd be ok with the wider range cassette (larger jumps in number of cog teeth). I have been very happy with the 2x and wanted to make the move to electronic.

I almost bought some close out Ultegra Di2 bits last year, but never pulled the trigger. I'll post some detailed review of my experience when the time is right, but it will surely be biased.
Based on my experience with mechanical SRAM Red, I would expect eTap and Di2 to be very close in shifting performance. The advantage of eTap is that it's wireless (for simpler installation and S&S frames), and mis-shifts are less likely (only 1 button per lever). Di2 has longer battery life and 2017 Ultegra/Dura Ace will have synchronized shifting, multiple shift buttons and junction boxes. Can't go wrong with eTap or Di2.

Let us know how you like eTap.