Old 11-02-16, 09:47 AM
diabloridr

Bikes: Co-Motion Macchiato, Calfee Dragonfly, Ancient Sun Fixie, Trek 5900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by oldacura
When I decided to go to electronic shifting on our new tandem, I automatically went with Ultegra Di2. I never considered SRAM.

Now with most everything, I assume there are advantages & disadvantages to each. Is there a thread on the tandem forum that makes a comparison (particularly with respect to tandem application)?

I have Dura-Ace Di2 on my single while my wife has eTap on hers.

We are currently having a tandem built with Di2.

My impressions:

Shifting performance is excellant with both, though the SRAM drivetrain is noisier.

With the announcement of the wide-range WiFli derailleur for eTap, specified rear cassette ranges is now identical vs. Ultegra Di2. Specified chainring sizes have always been identical.

There's a healthy and growing experience base with workable cassettes outside the specified range for Di2 (11-36 or 11-40 using Wolf Tooth or other products), but eTap is too new. The only datapoint I know of is a user who is successfull using a 11-32 cassette with a stock Red eTap deraillur (Not WiFli version).

Minor hassle with eTap on need to disconnect batteries prior to flying or driving the bike somewhere to avoid battery draindown. Not a big deal in my book.

Di2 seatpost battery replacement (if ever necessary) is a bit of hassle compared to simple battery replacement in eTap.

Battery life with either system is a non issue unless you are a real mega-miler.

Additional hardware required for wireless communication between Di2 and Garmins (or similar). No hardware necessary for eTap.

Di2 is relatively mature product (3rd iteration of Dura-Ace, 2nd iteration of Ultegra, 1st iteration of XTR), eTap will likely be rolling out new products to fill different niches for some time.

Just my random thoughts....