View Single Post
Old 11-03-16, 07:05 AM
cloozoe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originality vs Accuracy

Picked up a bike of very modest monetary value, but which was like a window onto 1981. It was in flawless condition, having been sitting in a heated basement for 20 years after being ridden very minimally prior to that. Everything, and I mean everything stock/original/complete. Guy even still had the owners manual. The bloody tires were original, albeit decomposing.

The tubing decal, however, is in error; right manufacturer but wrong tube designation. There is absolutely no question that the frame is not made of the tubing designated on the sticker, nor were any of it's model-mates ever made of it; there is also no question that the bike came from the shop with that decal on it; either the factory did it, or the bike shop.

Preamble out of the way, here's the question: Would you keep the sticker on, as it is doubtless original but wrong, like an upside down Jenny stamp, or would you replace it with a reproduction, making it accurate but unoriginal.

I realize what a trivial issue this is, but thought it was an interesting philosophical question. Of course, I'm easily amused.