View Single Post
Old 11-08-16, 01:36 PM
Scottybigs 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'll throw my 2 cents in: don't hesitate on getting the Wabi. Like others, I did a hell of a lot of research into fixed gear frames. But 2 years ago I bought a Soma Rush instead of a Wabi. Rode it a lot, but didn't like it for longer road rides.

Then I did a hell of a lot more research into geometry (angles, chainstay length etc.), cut my losses and bought a Wabi Special frameset--porting the parts over from the Soma. The Rush was great in the way that true track frames are great, but for long distance riding there's no comparison for me now which frame I prefer (classic road geo).

The Wabi is my favourite bike, past or present. I can spend a whole day on it and be happy--comfort, acceleration, handling and style. Riding fixed on a frame with road geometry lends itself (in my opinion) to more control when descending, which for me is key to developing good spinning technique. Riding with 75 degree ST/HT angles down long mountain descents wasn't enjoyable on the Rush. The Wabi's extra chainstay length and 73/73 angles are much more comfortable.

Anyway--go Special if you like lugs, go Classic if you want versatility. The Classic has a little more tire clearance and can take fenders, so consider your bike's intended use. A wealthier me would have both.

And ya, not stoked about the new website design. There was a certain charm to the HTML styles of the old site. The new site may as well be State or Pure Fix--and frankly, Wabi's are way above that garbage.