View Single Post
Old 11-10-16, 08:40 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
The levers are andodized, aren't they? If you've got something like a complete Nuovo Record group with some pantographed parts, I would be very reluctant to remove the anodized coating from anything. If the bike (or the parts) have "collector value" then de-anodizing and polishing, in my opinion, is far more significant damage than a few scratches.
I agree with RHM on this.

However, if you decide to go after them, you must remove the anodized layer first or polishing will get you nowhere.
Which means, the whole lever blade will need to be polished after you've removed the anodize.

The only caution I would offer is, depending on how deep the scratches are, and it's hard to tell from that photo, you are going to lessen the depth of the panto engraving when you take the surface down to "flat" when removing the scratches. If the engraving is deep, no problem, but you have to be careful not to round over the edges of the engraving or you'll lose the crispness of the lettering. Be especially careful around the Campagnolo stamp.
FWIW.