Old 11-10-16, 01:38 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Our conversations have centered around the concept that it's humans reporting the effect of treatment- the number, duration, intensity of the seizures. We both think the placebo effect has to do with the human side of things, the actual reporting of the seizures and the perception of the severity of the situation. Not a placebo effect from the dogs perspective, who presumably does not understand that he/she is in the study.
Owners get the placebo effect, got it.

I wonder if this couldn't also have an actual physical effect on the dogs...they certainly are very attuned and reactive to their people and their surroundings.

The seizures my dogs have had have been infrequent and isolated; the standard medical answer has been "sometimes this happens and we don't know why". Not all of my dogs have had them. Maybe in those dogs where it's a more regular occurrence having a calmer person in the mix creates a better loop for the dog and reduces some of the external triggers, if there are ones.

I need to work on Ridley's brain. The last few nights she's been up at 3am in a potty/treat/face wrassle loop.