Old 11-15-16, 10:52 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
I've heard it on this forum a few times that MUPs/Bike-paths are unsafe or at least less safe than the road...I don't understand this argument?...
It really depends on the MUP. I can think of a couple locally that are MUCH safer than taking the nearest parallel roadway out in the country. And I can think of one in the city that is just begging for an accident at every major intersection AND other trouble from sketchy neighborhoods. MUPs in the local parks at peak times are just impossible.

Here is the deal as I see it: When you are cycling on a roadway, you are the slowest vehicle. All of your trouble comes from one direction - behind - most of the time, until you reach an intersection. Any savvy cyclist should be able to negotiate an intersection with care. So really most danger is coming from one degree of the compass - 180*.

If you are cycling on a busy MUP, you are likely passing trail users and being passed by trail users. Most MUP users are relaxed and daydreaming letting their minds travel through outer space. Many MUP users don't even have a "mind" per se - dogs and kids. So trouble can come from ANY degree of the compass from sources without minds. INSTANTLY. So 360* vs 1* suggests that an MUP would be 360 times more dangerous than a roadway.

My answer to the OP question is that MUPs can be safer or more dangerous depending on a lot of factors. You can't just SAY that MUPs are more dangerous. Unless you post on BF of course, then you can pretty much make any claim you want to. Of course with motorist phone use behind the wheel increasing that danger on the road and at the intersections, who really knows?

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-15-16 at 10:58 AM.