Old 11-15-16, 02:00 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
A common theme I'm noticing in this thread is one of the "stinky, sweaty helmet." Is this really a thing? My helmet has three little padded fabric bits in it, which are removable and get washed once a week. The rest of the helmet is hard foam and plastic. Even if I'm really sweating on a ride, it's not like the helmet is filling up with sweat like a bucket. My helmet has no sweat-induced odor whatsoever. I clean the outside of it with automotive quick detailer, so it generally smells like that.

Is it a hair thing? I started shaving my head long before I got into cycling, so I have no basis for comparison. Do folks with full heads of hair stink up their helmets? Inquiring minds, and all.
For mine it is the strap at the temple. The padded fabric bits I can remove and wash. The strap can't be removed and that is what stinks. I try to hold it between my fingers with the weight of the helmet doing what it can to prevent me having a good grip inbetween my fingers and use laundry soap with a toothbrush to clean the strap. Mine is just a $20 Bell, but I've looked at the expensive stuff and none I've seen have removable straps for easy cleaning.

Some people don't sweat a lot. I sweat when it's 35° out and I'm riding. I have bucketloads coming off my head down the sides of my face getting soaked up into the straps.