View Single Post
Old 11-15-16, 03:05 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 3,029 Times in 1,877 Posts
I almost always bite my tongue in these situations, and it is surely the right decision. I can think of two relatively recent times where I failed to bite my tongue, one which I regret and the other I do not.

Both on club rides, talking to younger guys whom I didn't know.

The first one just had this very strange pedaling style - his heels stay way up high, maybe 2-3" above his toes. I asked him if that was a deliberate choice or perhaps something he could improve on and he snarled at me. He was right, I was wrong.

The second one, a guy I had never seen, joined a club ride and was blowing us all away - he would get in front and drop us all and then wait for us to catch up. This is a group where the average age is probably mid-50s, and this guy, I later found out, is 23. I noticed that his stem was way up high so that his bars were well above his saddle, and he was catching a ton of air. I asked him why his bike was set up that way, and he replied that he had just bought the bike a week ago and had never before ridden a road bike (!). The ride finished at something like 18.5 MPH (medium-fast for that group) and he enthused that he had never ridden so fast in his life. So I told him about a younger faster group in the area. He rides with them now, his stem is down low, and I see him nabbing KOMs on Strava all over town.