View Single Post
Old 11-15-16, 09:23 PM
mmecham

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sort of new to biking

Hello there, from southern Utah. I rode bikes a LOT when I was a kid, and then I decided to take about ten years off. I rode a Schwinn High Plains for two years in Texas and Louisiana in the early 90s during a church mission, and somebody must have loved those bikes, because I had two of them stolen, hahaha! Once I got home, I took a 22 year break from bikes. Then recently, I came across a blog called Mr. Money Mustache. The owner of the blog made me feel like a gigantic wuss-bag for driving my car two miles to work in a relatively bike-friendly area. So, for the past 4 months, I have ridden my bike nearly every day for at least four miles, and I log about 25 miles on the weekend just for joyriding.

My bikes are okay, I guess, but nothing to get excited about. I mean, they mostly get me from point A to point B. My son, who is currently on his own 2-year church mission in Canada, left behind his barely-used bike, which is a $100.00 Walmart Schwinn special that I adopted for myself (21 speed Side Winder mountain bike that is probably too small for me). Well, the other day I got a blowout, and as I flipped the bike over to change the tire, I discovered why the gears were so sloppy for the past week or so -- a gear was missing, and the remaining gears were slopping all over the spindle! I walked that bike home.

Enter my backup bike, which is a Cadillac AV8.oi, 2005 model, with the 8 speed Sturmey Archer gear box. Worked like a champ for about two weeks, and now the upper gears (6 - 8) keep slipping about every fifth pedal revolution. AARRRGGHHH!! So I guess my next stop will be the Bike Repair forums, hahaha.

I absolutely love biking. I don't have beautiful bikes, or high-priced bikes, but it is still fun as hell. I hope to learn more about biking as I talk with some of you, look through the forums, and continue my own biking adventures.