Old 11-21-16, 01:52 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
A couple of days back, the local newspaper's web page had three stories about roadway incidents. An 80-year-old who killed someone while driving the wrong way on the freeway four years ago had just died in prison (very difficult to do where he did it). A 77-year-old who went for a drive was found dead in a ditch he had driven into. Finally, a 76-year-old put a moped driver in the hospital when she violated his right-of-way and turned right into him.

These people are all older than us Boomers, but not by much. I fear this is only going to get worse. My fear is tempered only a small amount by my belief that we Boomers are better people than the generation that preceded us (but much, much worse than the ones that have followed us, imo).
I don't think elderly people keep driving because they're bad people. I think they often don't realize that they've lost their skills, or they're pretty much in denial about this sad state of affairs. They don't want to lose their independence--which wouldn't be an issue if we had better accommodations for non-auto travel in our communities.

"Think Outside the Cage"