Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by nuclear_biker
TL;DR: I'm looking for anybody with info on the Motobecane Le Champion CF (specifically with regards to how the frame holds up) and with BD CF bikes. Additionally looking for recommendations on whether this is a good way to go or if I should research other bikes in the $1k-$2k range.
Remember that buying a BD bike doesn't mean you aren't allowed to take it in to a shop, ever. You can still have a shop assemble it, tune it, fit it, whatever, you'd just have to pay a bit for it whereas a new buy from an LBS would probably have most of those services included.

Other than the initial fitting, most of the work on a modern bike is really easy to do yourself (and a fitting is also easy if you have an idea of your ideal position), so if you're comfortable tinkering and have the tools I don't see why it's an advantage to get an annual free tuneup or whatever from a shop.

I have friends with BD carbon bikes and none have had any issues. They're excellent for the price you pay, and you'd get a warranty from Motobecane that isn't much different than a "big brand" warranty, other than the need to ship it to have it inspected before repairs rather than taking it in to a dealer.

YMMV. My brother started riding on a BD Motobecane aluminum road bike almost 8 years ago and it's still going strong.