Old 11-24-16, 09:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I hear the same things from some older folks. "Why! It's so dangerous!" blah-blah-blah.

I'm tempted to say "So I don't end up like you."

I know folks in their 60s and 70s who are miserable, in chronic pain, too weak to walk far, not because of old age or legitimate medically diagnosed disabilities, but because of too many years of sheer indolence, neglecting even the most moderate exercise. And it only gets harder to come back from so many years of physical laziness and neglect. It looks like an awful way to spend the final 25% or longer of ones life.

I don't see how the relatively small risk of injuries from cycling is worse than spending the final 20 years of life as stiff as a zombie, with terrible balance and risking falls and injuries just from wobbling across the room, unable to enjoy activities that demand more effort than flicking the remote control or swiping the touch screen.

It's bad enough that some genuinely disabled people are forced to endure years of life like that. But choosing to live that way through neglect, indolence, overeating and constantly complaining about being in pain and uncomfortable and feeling confined by self-imposed immobility... yikes. Nope.