View Single Post
Old 11-25-16, 09:02 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantis
Does the leading spokes ie inbound or outbound make a difference or cause an issue, such as in my case ?

I wanted to mention all of my builds have the leading spokes inbound.

The only exception is a drive side of a front disc wheel, where my leading spokes are outbound.

Apologies for not wording it right ! I realised my mistake when I did not get any replies.
Originally Posted by atlantis
An update !
After pondering over the thread and some reading, I realised that my lacing pattern on standard wheels was kinda wrong.

I was not doing a mirror build, and was lacing most of my wheels like a rear disc wheel.
Since I was building a new rear wheel(non disc) I laced it mirrored and the problem with unequal spoke tension went away.
This I repeated on some old wheels which had not been ridden, and re-laced them.
All seems good for now. @FBinNY if you could guide me to the lacing pattern that you use for your builds , I would be grateful.
First a comment about terminology. for me at least, just saying heads in or heads out removes any confusion and leaves nothing open for interpretation.
Secondly, it's my belief that the only reason in the world for non mirrored lacing is to speed production in fast paced environments. Dropping all the spokes angled on one direction through both flanges speeds production.
I build almost everything with leading spokes heads out for no other reason than it's the habit I fell into. If I lost my sight tomorrow, I could still lace wheels this way. (I have tested this)
None of the theories and opinions I have read about the effects of various lacing patterns have convinced me that any one way is so superior to all others that it should be the only way.