Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by SBinNYC
At the rear, a red LED in blinking mode is forbidden
That must be a PBP rule. Imagine how annoying it would be to have 5,200 flashing tail lights for 1,200 km.

The ACP Rules of Brevets Randonneurs Mondiaux from 200 km to 1000 km Article 6 allows for a blinking tail light in addition to a steady light, although I think they are quite rare in actual practice.

Originally Posted by genec
Are your high mileage Randonneurs doing their cycling in rush hour US of A... where there is lots of light pollution, and a tiny white headlight may not stand out at all from scores of other bright lights.

Or do Randonneurs tend to stick to long distance country routes that occasionally intersect large, busy cities?
There are over 50 randonneurring clubs in the US. I'm not sure what all of their routes are, but I'm sure it's a mix. My guess would be that there is very little riding in urban big-city environments, but all of the controls are necessarily in cities or towns so there is quite a bit of smallish city traffic in my experience.

I have personally been riding in downtown Chicago rush-hour traffic for over 25 years. Only NYC, where I have also ridden, is more urban than that, and I still don't see a need for daytime or blinking lights.

Originally Posted by genec
I am only questioning you regarding this to simply suggest that lighting needs for cyclists in different areas, hours, and modes may vary dramatically. One size does not fit all.
I never said that one size fits all. I realize that there are plenty of people who either don't know how to assess risk or don't mind annoying other people.