View Single Post
Old 11-27-16, 03:23 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FedEx > UPS for eBay bike buying/selling

I'm new-ish to bike building/refurbing and this has resulted in me doing a good deal more buying/selling on eBay.

One of the things I've discovered is that FedEx is vastly more user-friendly via eBay than UPS.

UPS makes you register and create an account to ship via eBay. There is supposedly an eBay discount for shipping via UPS, but the discount does not apply immediately when you open your account and they're vague about when or whether you'll actually get the discount. The net result of this is that when eBay calculates a shipping cost for your buyer, the shipping charges eBay collects from your buyer do not cover your actual shipping costs. Also, on the recipient end, UPS requires a user-hostile rigamarole to schedule a delivery time or change delivery location, often charging you fees for such changes.

FedEx is a totally different experience. The calculated shipping cost is exactly the same as the actual shipping cost. The dropoff location has longer hours. The nice lady at the dropoff location lets you use her roll of heavy duty packing tape when you ran out. You can purchase and print your shipping label, WITH THE eBay DISCOUNT, directly from eBay - no signing up for another online account, with more passwords and user IDs and junk mail. Finally, the FedEx home delivery service is actually cheaper than UPS ground, albeit with a slightly longer transit time.

Just sharing because I had to learn all of the above the hard way