Old 11-28-16, 12:59 PM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Good thing you aren't in any Steering Committee type position at Brompton. Seriously, where is the evidence that ANY of those innovations are desired? Especially #4. Personally, I have never considered any other than 20" wheels for myself, but I understand the appeal of 16" wheels to some others. Perhaps the introduction of a 20" model to be sold alongside? Why so all or nothing? And, I don't know, but I suspect carbon fiber with all its challenges for this type of usage would be an easier sell than full Titanium.
Lots more great info guys----I seem to have sparked a few comments--

I think a 20" alongside the 16" would be interesting. Carbon vs Titanium, for me I would take Titanium hands down. Because of the life expectancy of a well built titanium frame vs Carbon and the huge stresses put on the folding frames. From the moutain bike industry I have seen several carbon failures but never a Titanium failure.---Smaller sample of titanium frames however.

Wow--2/3 of the commuters in Shanghai are on electric bikes. I spent 6 weeks last winter in the Philippines and did not see one---I rode nearly every morning----But Palawan the island I was on is relatively poor. However there are tons and tons of 50cc -125cc gas scooters.

The sales graph of Harley Davidsons in the USA looked much like your Brompton Graph except nearly all the sales were US/Canada. However So many were bought and left in the garage unused that eventually used bikes started to flood the market. There are thousands of 3-5-10 year old Harleys that have less than 1000 miles on them. Then Harley sales dropped drastically.

The serious question I would have is what percentage of the bikes sold are being used. If that number is not significant then sales will not continue to climb.

That Brompton has already come to be a major exporter is impressive.

An easy conversion from kg to pounds--2.2 pounds. The electrified Brompton from Nyce in New York is 45 pounds 20.4 kg. It will be interesting to see the price and weight of the E-Brompton.