Old 11-29-16, 12:21 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by brockd15
Tube size has a lot to do with it, too. Bottom line: I think both can be fantastic depending on the application.
I'll agree on tube size. A quill stem would look very wrong with fat carbon tubing.

Earlier in the thread, someone had asked about threadless stems with the steerer pinch bolt in front of the steerer. I have a couple in the parts box. I think they're trek system 2 stems from the mid 90's. The face plate is still on the front, but with only 2 bolts, it's not as noticeable. The stem is also rather thin for a threadless stem.

(not my image)

I'd gotten them to put on Soma Hi Rise threaded to threadless adaptors on various builds, but didn't like the look. I'd hoped I could put a large bell to hide the joint and make it almost look like a super tall nitto technomic with removable faceplate or something, but it just didn't look right (and the thomson threadless stem that's on one of them now doesn't look terribly out of place with the fat tubing of a cannondale st-400 - especially since it's a mutt with the VO Crazy Bars).