View Single Post
Old 11-30-16, 11:33 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3219 Post(s)
Liked 1,764 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Old_Roadie
I lose about 3 lbs of air a day and I am not using sealant. I currently have 6,141 miles on Schwalbe tires without sealant. and I have not experienced any quick air lose. Yes, I have also read that these tires do not have airtight lining. I do have 391 miles on the Pro 1 tire that I am running on the front, and I have had the same results, fairly typical air lose compared to a tubed tire. But the jury is still out on the Pro 1 without sealant.

To each their own, works for me. Not trying to sell the no sealant idea, just my experience.

Having been an fairly early adapter to road tubeless in 2011 my understanding is that Shimano and Hutchison were the 2 companies that collaborated on road tubeless, and that the system was to not use sealant. (and Shimano's position). I even went to Irvine and talked with several people on the subject. When you get a Shimano rim the tubeless valves do not have a removable core because they do not want you to use sealant in their rims. And from personal experience I can tell you that the Shimano do not like sealant. I also had a set of the 7850 SLs, and they same 'oxidation' occurred on those. I currently am running the Ultegra 6800 TLs without sealant and zero issues.

The funniest thing to me is that the early Hutchinson Fusion 3s leaked at the side wall. And these were the tires that, from what I read, were the ones that were supposed to be air tight. Go figure.
Have others had success running P1s w/o sealant? I mean, yeah they pump up, but leakdown is substantial and noticeable over the course of a ride. I don't know that I have a pump accurate to 3lbs, so I'm talking 10s of psi.

I'm really curious if others have noticed this, because I'm wondering how to square that against my experiencewith P1 and S1 w/o sealant on two different sets of rims, all which leaked down fast. One of those rims held air in Ones w/o sealant just fine, so I'm not inclined to think it is a rim issue, and both are tubeless specific anyway.

Maybe it's a bead design issue, and P1s work on some rim designs better? Continuing that line of thought, how did you determine the Hutchis were leaking at the sidewall? Can you tell where the leakage is on your P1s or Ones?

I'm honestly curious and confused!