Old 12-01-16, 11:44 AM
TreyWestgate

Bikes: motobecane outcast 29er singlespeed and nashbar singlespeed road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Your speed is related to the average power.

But your maximum force is essentially related to the instantaneous peak power, and someone standing and mashing can get much higher power peaks than someone sitting and spinning. Also as mentioned, higher force with slower cadence.

Other than the effect of the pedal falling away from a person's weight, one can put get pretty close to 100% of one's weight into the downward force when standing. Putting more force into the cranks than 100% of one's weight takes a lot of extra effort.

That is pretty light.

6'4" is pretty tall.

I'm not sure the height alone would increase the force on the cranks, unless you are using long cranks. 180mm or longer cranks. Even 175mm cranks are pretty standard and should handle typical forces. The difference between say a 175mm and a 180mm crank is only about 3%... not a huge force difference. There are longer cranks, but they are rare.
Also when I was 17 back then I could push that 24 speed mountain bike to 28 mph on a straight road for only being a mountain bike and not having smooth tires, so I must have been strong.

In the 42t ring which also didn't slip under lots of power, good thing!!.

Also I was able to outrun a 50cc kid,s honda dirt bike with it!!.

Last edited by TreyWestgate; 12-01-16 at 11:49 AM.