View Single Post
Old 12-03-16, 02:27 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Oh yeah, the SunLite stem is the way to go if you're tall and want to ride a 21" bike. They make a 10" long 21.1mm touring stem that also gives you about 2" more reach. The clamp is for 1" bars and Raleigh bars are 15/16" so you need a 1/32" shim if you're going to use the original bars. I think soft metal like copper work best. Lately, I've been using lead chimney flashing. I keep hammering it down and trimming the sides until I get a nice fit. Works great, never slips.

Thanks, good info.I have some copper and brass shim material. These can be bought a machine tool type and mechanics shops. I think I will look into one.

But, like I said, the 21 inch bike is bigger than the 23, I am not sure why Raleigh bothered with sizes because raising or lowering the top tube without lengthening or shortening the top tube is not a different size bike frame, it is just the same size bike frame with a lower or higher choice of top tubes. Weird. I prefer the 21 with the linger top tube, feels better.