View Single Post
Old 12-03-16, 04:23 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Not sure if this is of much help Tmar...?

Hope my Moto will have some significant value for your database? It was not meant to be a C&V restoration at the time, but a desire to make it into my own version of a 'Team Champion' that was out of my reach when I was younger. I have posted this bike here a few times.

I bought this Motobecane Grand Record as a 'frame only' from a Motobecane Dealer in the late 70's & built it up on my own. Best I've come up with is that it's a '74 model. The owner, Pierre Cuisinot(sp) owned & operated Velo-Club Bikes in Belmont CA. He was a former French racer. The frame was hanging on the wall in his shop & I knew right away...I wanted it. Took my time gathering Campy parts for the build w/ a goal to build it up w/ a SR cmpnt group. I haven't really done too much since other than replace the Cinelli saddle w/ a Vetta , Brake Hoods & put on clipless Look pedals (have orig SR Campy pedals w/ Binda Straps).

I used mostly Campy parts except for the Edco Competition Headset, Modolo Anatomic Hoods. Stronglight Titanium BB Spindle. Bar & stem are Cinelli 1R, Old Crest 66-40 Bars, Leather stitched bar wrap. Campy Drop-bolt on rear brake. Silca Impero pump & Avocet 30 cyclometer.

Serial #'s are a bit blurred but best I came up w/ are 6717 rear dropout & 38984815 on BB shell. No other #'s on bike. Some of my fancy drill work on the shell, but hey, I was young! It really made the bike faster...lol! In doing it, the drill bit got jammed in there, broke & i could not get it out. I had to bring it back into Pierre's shop for help. You should've seen the look on his face. Plus, I did not know about Swiss BB threads either. I had it tightened it beyond belief trying to loosen it by going in the wrong direction. He had a helluva time getting it back out...doh.

Wheels: Campy Hubs, Mavic GP4 32h rims/DT DB spokes/Vittoria CG-CX Corsa tubulars. Pierre also built the wheels, plus another heavier set w/ Mavic MA2 36h rims.

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 12-04-16 at 09:38 PM.