Old 12-05-16, 01:13 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NoPhart
I found some cool blue 7075 alloy chainring bolts the "proper length" on eBay for $4 shipped, so I grabbed them. The ones I've been using for testing are not the right length and my best guess is my LBS's wouldn't have what I wanted, but could order them. When that has to be done I get killed on shipping and costs. For whatever reason I can always get better prices than what they claim their cost is (?). Don't have that issue with in stock parts or labor costs at my LBS.

I've watched my costs on this build at every turn. It is close to $3K now and I haven't even bought the 48V/20Ah battery yet ($550+ depending on battery type). Custom builds aren't cheap, but you get exactly what you want. Small (bolts, nuts, spacers, etc...) and large (handlebars, stems, beltrings adapters, etc...) 6000/7000 series alloy and Ti bits add up quickly. It really depends on what quality and weight parts you desire, plus the color and look you want.

Anyway, you typically only wait 1-2 weeks for mail order; including international stuff.
I see, yeah understood on all points. I lucked out with my utility bike build. I snagged a Marin Pine Mountain MTB steel frame with disc and rack mounts for $60 off a guy locally. It was a 2006 but looked nearly brand new. Then I was able to transfer most parts off my older aluminum MTB, and then buy a few more parts and build up the old MTB in a different way. So I basically took one old bike + $300 and ended up with 2 bikes, one of them being an upright riding utility bike with disc brakes. All it needs now is the BBS02 mid-drive setup and battery, which hopefully won't be much more than $1K.