View Single Post
Old 12-05-16, 06:16 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
So a few weeks ago, I get asked "what do you want for Christmas?"

Hmm, what do I really want? Aero testing but that's too expensive. Or the new Giro aero helmet. But although that's not as expensive, it's still pretty expensive. Ok, third choice- the exact set of bars for the Magic Bike that I have on the Sparrow. Which I bought used and has some ergo carbon bars on it which I initially hated and now love. That should be a reasonable request, I think.

So Mr H takes the bar tape off the bars and reads the manufacturers name. Chinese company, he googles it and finds their website and calls a few of the distributors listed. Bad news, they're no longer made.

Ok, plan B: I guess the aero helmet would be nice. And one stop shopping for him because if I get that I can't justify getting anything else. I wind up ordering it on his behalf just because I found one place where it was $50 less than everywhere else.

It came today to my work, beautiful:

Also today I get a text from Mr H while I'm at work: "Good news! I found your handlebars at a Bakersfield bike shop! New, but were on a bike that did not sell. A few test rides & some "clamp marks", but new. Waiting for photos & price (but it will be less than expected)."

Sweet. Maybe I'll get the bars for Valentine's Day.