Old 12-14-05, 11:11 AM
s_9
PINK THUNDER

Bikes: IRO (track), Aegis (road), Trek (Mtn)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SirrusPackage
Anybody know of a good, secluded place to lock up near Times Square?

I am in the middle of a "negotiation" of sorts with my office building. This is what I sent the building manager:

"In anticipation of a transit strike, I plan on riding my bike to work. When I've done this before, I was prohibited by the security guards from bringing the bike into the building or through the lobby, even though I was just going to stash it in my office or in other empty space within my firm's offices for the day. I am averse to locking it up outside in Times Square for a full day, since I don't want it or anything on it stolen.

Since this Friday could, arguably, present unique circumstances, is there any way we could get building management to permit bikes in the building on Friday or whatever other strike days may follow?"

And this was their response:

"We are still working out plans however, the building will have a bike rack in the loading dock and we will not be responsible for your bike."

This is good, I guess, but our loading dock is a pretty easy-in, easy-out situation. Anybody got any secret spots in the vicinity?

Doubtful. Building managers are pretty inflexible on this. I work not far from TS as well & lock my bike outside. My handlebars & stem were stolen once. I've talked to the bldg manager AND the head of HR in my department, who in turn talked to the Bldg Mgr. Every time, the answer was no. And it was a pretty dry, inflexible, "i don't give a ***** about your stupid bike" no. I tried to sneak it by the guys in the loading dock, but they said they'd have to clear it with the Bldg Mgr. No dice again. They're afraid of retribution, I guess. I'd have no problem bringing it in the freight up to my office & stashing it there, but the no-freight excuse is some BS liability reason. "If your bike was damaged, we wouldn't be liable". It made so little sense, I didn't even have a response to it.

That being said, I almost hope the transit strike happens. It sounds like a biker's paradise. Closing 5th ave to all but emergency vehicles? Forcing carpooling? Awesome.