Old 12-09-16, 01:32 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
I know these have been there forever, so we forget. But they actually ask all users to "Use lights after dark":

The Bikeway map was updated a year ago. Note: "At night all pedestrians should wear a reflective jacket, vest or sash. Lights are recommended."

-mr. bill
Ehh, tiny print, next to last bullet point, faded/scratched off wording... I still stand by my argument that whoever put that much effort into the yellow signs, should've included all trail users in them.

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Another thing we don't think about with the Minuteman - lighting. Note that Alewife Linear Park/Somerville Community Path have lighting. (Solar even.)

It doesn't take much light to make the "invisible" visible. Why pedestrians are urged to carry our own lights in Arlington/Lexington/Bedford is the result of a decision made a couple of decades ago.

The whole of the Minuteman doesn't need stationary lighting. But it does need some lighting:
  • Areas approaching intersections.
  • Areas where there is signifcant foot traffic, such as:
    • Alewife Station to Arlington Center (the infamous "Stroller Slalom" Strava Segment, with it's King of the Mup for the 6 meter climb!)
    • Arlington Center to Brattle
    • Lexington Center
  • Proposed rest parklets off the path

-mr. bill
The darkest, most problematic parts of the Stroller Slalom are the Magnolia Field bend, the straight portion right after it up to Lake St., and between Spy Pond and Kickstand. The segment by the condos with the pine trees is lit up. I would say the Magnolia Field bend needs lighting for sure, as it's always crowded there as one is trying to pass people walking ON the path and also ACROSS the path (to/from the fields)

Personally I wouldn't want too much lighting on the path, I like it the way it is (dark & quiet as Ron mentioned), but I do make sure that myself and my family wear lights/reflectors as appropriate (you should see the reflective tape I applied to my kid's stroller!)