View Single Post
Old 12-11-16, 04:41 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I've been keeping my eyes out for older Schwinn lightweights for years and have come to the conclusion that not many were made, especially in the large frame size. According to the catalogs, lightweight bikes like the Traveler were available in 23" frames. Try to find one. If I come up with a nice 3 speed Schwinn project, I'll report back here, but I've been looking for the past 25 years and haven't found one yet.
Sooprise, sooprise, sooprise! Tell me if I'm getting warmer on this. I went back by the co-op this afternoon to settle a nagging feeling that I'd missed something on previous visits and made a discovery that might be of interest to you, a Schwinn Speedster in red that looks like it measures 23" c-t. I could not get to the rear hub to check the date but got a shot of the serial number if that will help you date it. Looks like a '70s bike to me with the reflectors on pedals and wheels and the plastic cover on the SA shift trigger.

It's no garage queen but it's in pretty decent shape from what I can tell; the storage room is poorly lit, dusty, and the bike's frame tubes are wrapped in blue painter's tape, possibly miles of blue painter's tape. Plus, it's got a retroreflective strip that foils flash photography but the bike would be indistinguishable in the dark otherwise. Let me know if you're interested. The place is open on Tuesday evenings and Sunday afternoons. I can wrestle it out into the open for a closer inspection at your request. Tires are S-6, 37-597.
Speedster1.JPG

Speedster2.JPG

Speedster3.JPG

Speedster4.JPG