Old 12-11-16, 07:42 PM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
zze86's entry! UPDATE (1) 12-11-16

Meant to post this Friday night but got too tired.

I'm planning on using this bike for a winter commuter as well so I've been gathering parts rather quickly to get it ready for winter riding.

I knew I wanted to switch to drop bars, my wrists can't handle multiple days on a flat bar, even just commuting. Thought about doing butterfly bars but I have them on my commuter and while I love the multiple hand positions I sometimes wish I had drops for more leverage and also wanted to try bar ends, which I've not used before.

I also wanted to switch from the threaded quill stem to a threadless setup since the drop on traditional drop bars are a little too aggressive for me and there are just so many more options for fine tuning with threadless.

Went to the local co-op to see what I could find and came away with a pretty good haul:
New Planet Bike wide fenders to fit winter knobbies - $15
used Deda compact ergo road bars - $5
used MKS (?) pedals - $5
used Shimano Ultegra 8speed bar end shifters - $50
Total = $75

Needed to order a threaded-to-threadless conversion so when Nashbar had their Black Friday sale I placed an order with them and got 25% off my total order plus free shipping.

Threaded-to-threadless adaptor
Nashbar low rider front rack
Nashbar Streetwise Kevlar belt tire (plan on riding these tires on tour)
Total = $55

Won a new cannondale rear rack for $14 off eBay.

After receiving the rear rack and test fitting. I discovered the canti brakes and smaller frame wouldn't play nice with the rear rack so I found some v brakes off craigslist for $10 and got a stem for free (guy wasn't sure what the clamp size was for and just gave it to me. Test fitted it and it seems like it's 26mm so will need to look for another)

Finally, ordered a pair of Tektro brake levers from Amazon for $17.

Parts Total = $171

Running Total = $191

Remaining budget: $350 - $201 = $159

Last edited by zze86; 12-11-16 at 07:56 PM.