View Single Post
Old 12-14-16, 04:05 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
That's a beautiful bike and a great job of selecting parts and nice build all together!

I had issues with the Selle Italia mirror fitting on "vintage" brake levers. But since trying the mirrors on the Tektro RRL levers and it's almost as fine as the old Mirrycle mirrors!

Congratulations!
You are right about brand/model of the mirror and the levers. I am really big on having a mirror, and this is the best I found to work with road bars when the ends are occupied with the shifters. It is not cheap, and takes some effort to get it set where you need it, but it does the job after it is set up. It even works on bad roads, and the mirrycle is the only other one I've seen do that.

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
BTW I'm looking forward to hearing how the SunXCD stuff works for you. I'm not overly fond of the old TA look on the cranks- but it does look classy. The hubs are the big draw for me. They're really pretty.

There's a whole lot to like about this build!
For the crank rings, I did consider the Sun xcd's and the Rene Herse. I like all of them. But I went with the TA's to tone things down a bit. It is a fine line between a bit of flash and too far over the top, like a woman wearing making; less is more sometimes.

If I had one of those minimalist rando frames, with no lugs and one color, I would have gone for the Herse rings for sure.

Question--Does anyone know where to get one of those dealies to stop the chain from dropping off the small ring, and here's the catch, that will work with the 28 small ring? The bike shop had one for 38's but it won't do any good with the rando size ring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chain.jpg (16.0 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by chewybrian; 12-14-16 at 05:36 AM.