View Single Post
Old 12-20-16, 12:34 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
I have a Shimano DH-T675, the next model down from the top Shimano model. I found the right hand side cone was mildly pitted after ~10,000km of riding. Fortunately, cones are available online. I didn't receive them in time before my last tour, and put another 5,000 km on without the cone deteriorating too much, after repacking the hub with quite heavy grease.

To my way of thinking this is the strength of the Shimano hubs, the serviceability. From this end of the world, it's a bit if a hassle to return non-user-serviceable equipment to the OEM for maintenance, which for me, rules out the more favoured and technically advanced models. Another plus is the generally lower price. If planning a long distance tour in a far away place, you could do worse than use a Shimano hub and pack some spare cones. (You'll need to get cone spanners somewhere)

On the subject of lighting and USB, I was greatly disappointed by the early demise of my Luxos U, due to it's (now) well documented inability to handle rain or, in my case, even cool humid weather. For my last trip I returned to home built lights / switchbox with battery backup, and a commonly available re-purposed car cigarette lighter usb plug thingy for charging. Heavier than a built for purpose product, but serviceable, and cheap!