Old 12-24-16, 11:57 PM
FInish4Finn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
What's wrong with the Dahon (Ford) single speed, other than weight? Seriously.
I wouldn't say there is. That's my folding bike I use. I bought the single speed and just upgraded it with components I had or made on the brideport. I'm coming up on 3000 miles and nothing on it has failed on me. The weight isn't much of a problem with the right upgrades. The frame is damn good and sturdy. I took it touring, first ride was Quebec to Toronto and back. I dropped it to 22.3 lbs. Ditched the steel bolt crankset and better wheels, as those were the most weight, dropping it to 26lbs from over 30lbs. The rest were the components that are almost fillers on the bike like plastic break levers and the chain guard which are "Walmarty", but easily replaceable with little expense. I almost got the Ferrari folding bike, but just decided I wanted the sturdier frame. For a nearly 50 mile commute a day, I can assure anyone it does the job. But, understand that while you can ride it right out of the box, for a more comfortable and dynamic ride some things need changing. All folding bikes I came across had handlebars way too high at the lowest setting. All of them came with the ancient, heavy bolt crankset, all had a crap saddle I couldn't ride for a 2 hour and all were heavy. For a $2000 price point one would expect those issues to be averted before purchase. I made the proper investment and upgraded something I will take care of with no more maintenance I would with other bike that anyone here would put into their bicycle.