Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Well I didn't claim you were worrying about it. It's just that I can't imagine why it would really matter to be "accurate" about it.

Distance, I can understand. I want to know when I'm getting close to the finish line in a TT. Or make the correct turn, if I'm trying to navigate a new area.

Power- that must be accurate and reliable, Im making training & racing decisions with that data.

Speed, I can understand. Maybe I've made and modification to the bike and I want to get a sense as to how it impacted speed.

Even temperature has some usefulness, because I can compare how I feel today when it's 47 degrees and it can help me decide how to dress tomorrow if its forecast to be 42 degrees.

But elevation gain? There's almost nothing I would do with that information that needs to be more accurate than 15% +/-. So I can't really see troubleshooting it or taking any steps to try to make that info more "accurate". Knowing that I deviate systematically from Ride with GPSs totals or my friends' Garmins is good enough.
Fair enough.. but then of course "Speed" is impacted by whether terrain is flat, downhill and uphill. Terrain can be a daily modification unlike hopefully bike modifications.