View Single Post
Old 12-31-16, 08:19 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
I hope this is not terribly off topic; but I have to ask. Bulldog, I think you know that I recently fixed up my dad's old 1972 Raleigh Super Course and that I presented it back to him. Well, as it happens I have found somebody with a 70s-vintage Raleigh International that I'm thinking about buying. Can you please go into some of the differences between these two bikes. I'm more concerned with tubing and handling characteristics than I am about components. For example, did the International employ Reynolds 531? Thank you.
hi friend, I somehow missed this question in post quotes - just now showing up.
SC is 531 straight gauge main triangle with TI2030 rear triangles and forks. The front fork has the lower offset (higher trail) geometry of Raleigh "race" bikes.

International is double-butted 531 on all tubes, with a 531 low-trail fork. IMO, this is not a bike for a big rear load because of flex in the main triangle. (i.e., this is not a touring bike, but just about the perfect sport touring bike or 700c rando). Handles great with a front load.

Both frames have about the same tire clearance in the rear triangles (32mm max), though the International chainstays are even rounder than the slightly oval SC chainstays.

Messy winter, and I installed my full fenders over the weekend. I was surprised to find the International fork has a few mm greater offset (lower trail) than my GP where I salvaged the Honjo fenders.
Still some work to tweak these out, including a shorter brake bridge mount and some new U-stays