Old 01-03-17, 03:59 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
dual suspension

Originally Posted by Bikernator
Interesting info. Is that a universal rule of thumb?

OP, if you haven't figured it out, no one is really a fan of your choice.

If $1000 is your limit, I would look at used. And open up to hardtail unless you have some sort of back injury or something that would really be best served with a full suspension. HTs are a lot of fun, too.
Lol yes, i kinda figured that one would get trashed, just wanted to get a second opinion. To give an idea of where i'm at-used to have a Trek 4500 disc bike that got stolen (mechanical disc, with Rockshox judy and deore rear derailleur). That one never got found by the cops, and since then, I found a specialized on the curb that needed a lot of work. It's all fixed up now, but no suspension at all.. I like to ride fast, and having the fixed fork beats me up sometimes. (Don't remember that ever happening with the Trek).

A bunch of people have suggested hardtail (I would love to have that Trek back!) just don't know how it would do with my current situation.. Been having some pain in my back/hips sporadically (went to pt for that a few years ago) and thought maybe full suspension would be good (though I would actually prefer the hardtail for less weight!).

On a side note, the Rockshox judy fork was spring-loaded, but didn't have a lockout or rebound, which made the fork kinda bouncy at times (fyi that model was around 2005). The Trek was around $600, what happened to Rockshox in that price range? I don't see them on any bikes less than $800 or so. Would it be better to wait and get a bike with Rockshox? I've read a lot about how crappy suntour can be :-p

Dave