View Single Post
Old 01-03-17, 09:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto
I advocate a minimum of two bikes. Just to avoid maintenance related downtime. I have a gravel bike now and am very satisfied with it. If my bike handling doesn't improve, I'll likely get a dedicated MTB as well.

Yeah I've got a bike that needs a new chainring, bottom bracket, cassette, chain and new wheels(worn brake track). Probably new hubs, too. Wheels need truing anyway. Uncomfortable saddle.

I can't in good conscience sell it, given the mechanical condition-even if it's slightly too small for me. So it's just hanging on a fencepost hook(yes, it's covered. I'm not a monster). For the cost to get it running well, I'm pretty close to the cost of a new, comparable bike. I was wondering what to do, but then Raleigh's corporate deal came out and I just bought a new gravel bike instead. N+1 it is.

Next up: new wheelset for the gravel bike.

I think that for some people, they have two hobbies: Riding bikes, and maintaining them. I'm very happy for those people. I'm not one of them.

I don't think those people have bikes as utility, either. When I lived downtown in a major city with no car? I might ride to 3 places a day. I'm, uh, not cleaning my bike that much. No way in hell.

I'm also in the PNW these days and it gets 120+ inches of rain a year where I'm at. Half of my rides have gravel or dirt sections. Washing my bike is a bit of an ordeal-and I'm not playing with soap and water when it's 30 degrees outside. If I had a workstand, I would wash the bike more often. But it's just too much of a damn pain otherwise. I'll clean the chain and wipe the downtube and rear triangle down once a week if I'm being conscientious. When shifting quality falls otherwise.

Your workplace allows that?! I'm jealous. Granted, I literally live across the street from work these days. Convenient, but I miss the commuting miles.
We have a very underutilized bike cage.