View Single Post
Old 01-05-17, 05:44 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Rudebob,

I agree with Bulldog. After you drill that hole out there will be very little serious metal left to handle a lot of torque. Is it worth a try? Yeah, maybe, but it would be a serious downer to snap a pedal off from the crank arm in the middle of a longish ride. Could have some health consequences to.

If it were me, I'd get a new arm and be done with it.

On your first note, most bike shops today don't do what I call "real" bike repairs. They are assembly shops that replace parts. The few that do know what a Helicoil is probably haven't done many recently anyway because, well, everyone just replaces parts now not fix them.

To give you an idea on how well Helicoils can work, many years ago I stripped out a cantilever brake mount boss on a brand new Specialized shock fork. I had worked in shops for years and could torque bolts down but this one just never tightened up. Anyway, took it to a shop that did good work and they fixed it with a Helicoil. That was done back in the early 1990's and that bike is still ridden weekly and the brake boss hasn't failed.

I see you're in Phoenix. Go to Landis Cyclery in Scottsdale (Near intersection of Scottsdale and Shea). Those guys do good work (best shop in town I think) and probably will have the expertise to repair with a Helicoil.

-

Last edited by drlogik; 01-05-17 at 05:49 PM.