Old 01-06-17, 01:18 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
@Doug64, Official assessment...Damage from an over tightened side stand should be avoided regardless of frame material. I've installed similar stands onto family bikes with nothing more than paint damage, this was something I should have double checked.

On the other hand, this is a very high mileage four bagger bike that the side stand looked to have been installed by the LBS at time of initial sale. The damage is between the BB shell and the chain stay bridge, which may have helped the integrity/longevity somewhat.(?) The original owner may not have ever been aware of the damage.
@CliffordK, Aluminum tubing doesn't do as well as steel tubing with similar damage, from what I've read. The TT has a pretty bad crease in it near the center cable housing guide and that alone would/should be a deal breaker for any purchase. Part of my "experiment" was to see if that would become a problem after some rough use.

After a couple of years of general riding, gravel grinding, and the day trips nothing has failed, the "experiment" continues.

Brad