View Single Post
Old 01-06-17, 07:00 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
Anyone have any problems with their racks or rack mounting points (screws/braze-ons/etc) under these loads on rough terrain? Looks like some of you folks have put big miles on rocky dirt roads with a lot of unsprung weight - just wondering how these mounts hold-up to the constant hammering, particularly the rear racks which seem to carry all the weight on a single screw/braze-on per side.
No issues. I too use a rear rack and go off road. My rig has 80 mm front suspension, wide rims and 29 x2.3 " tires, quite large. I will air them out some for longer rough sections. Also with a frame bag and a front bar bag the weight gets spread out more. I use some longer bolts and then thread a nylock nut on the back side. Also it helps to put the rack mount closest to the frame, then the fender attachment further out.
Do any mountain biking? Ride light, get your but off the saddle when needed. Front wheel loft and pick your lines as well.