Old 01-07-17, 01:57 AM
cracemosa

Bikes: 2003 Steppenwolf Transterra, 2016 Cube/Bosch Delhi Hybrid Ebike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used the higher end models by Busch und Müller for many years now, with a dynamo hub and now on an ebike. The daylight running lights they provide in their Licht 24 models are excellent. They consist of a group of LEDs under the main part, and those are not directed at the road, but shine brightly into all directions. They are very conspicous even on bright days, visible even when backlit by a setting or rising sun, and certainly in the shadows or on overcast days.

The rackmounted tail lights have become huge, concerning the lit up area. They look like a motorbike or car tail light. Very visible, even during the day. The latest ones double-use the big reflector as lit up area too, when the light is on.

I don't like blinking lights, not on others, and therefore not on me. They are highly annoying and confusing. Many of them are cheap and small. So I don't use them. Also, they are illegal around here. IMHO for good reason, but YMMV.

(As far as I know, small "tactical" torches are actually used as defensive weapons, when on strobe. It's supposed to work quite well as such. Maybe not the best thing to use in traffic, especially when many start doing it. Imagine what traffic would look like then, at night, perhaps on wet roads.)

The Busch und Müller line of lights are not at the cutting edge of LED- brightness, and they are not gimmicky. But they are very well engineered and very well made. Once carefully installed, and especially in combination with a decent dynamo hub, you can then completely forget about them. No hassle, they just work. For years and years.

And because the daylight running light consists of those special, separate LEDs under the beam (s.a.), they work a lot better than just leaving your normal night time riding light on during the day.

You might want to give those some consideration.

Last edited by cracemosa; 01-07-17 at 02:21 AM.