canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
...Then there are the Specialized road frames with the elastomers in the seat stays. I wonder how much effect they have.
Last year I tried a used Trek hybrid with Isozone frame (the dealer described it as a road bike frame with flat bars, not really the sort of hybrid I was looking for). Unfortunately my basis for comparison was flawed. I should have tried a standard road bike or rigid frame hybrid or mountain bike first. But I was coming from a very cushy comfort hybrid (Globe Carmel, spring suspension, padded and springy saddle, long wheelbase, soft tires), so the Trek felt harsh and jittery to me. But that's relative to my immediate experience.

Since then I've bought an older Univega rigid fork mountain bike and ride it most often now. It too felt harsh, tho' not as jittery because of the difference in the frame and curved fork compared with the newer hybrids. I tried three sets of tires before settling on Continental Speed Ride 700x42, which I can ride at 40-50 psi front, 50-60 psi rear.

I also swapped saddles around. The heavily padded spring saddle from the Globe felt comfortable, if a bit too wide, on the Univega. I'd have kept it that way but the Globe's seat post was too short for the Bell gel foam saddle from the Univega -- the Globe's original padded spring saddle was very tall. So I swapped back to the original configuration. The heavily padded spring saddle does cost some efficiency in exchange for comfort. There's quite a bit of bouncing with hard pedaling.

The experience persuaded me that a Brooks or Selle saddle with springs but less padding would suit me for the rigid fork mountain bike.

But as with my Globe comfort hybrid, tires and tire pressure made more difference than anything else. A wider, softer tire may be the most cost effective solution. Especially considering how expensive good saddles and the Thudbuster seat post are.

And much as I hate to admit it, my fitter cycling friends were correct that arms and legs can be effective shock absorbers. The problem was, after a 30 year hiatus from cycling, it took months for my arms and legs to get strong enough to be effective shock absorbers. But it takes me 15 minutes or so to warm up enough to use the arms and legs effectively. And those muscles tire after long rides, and the ride quickly becomes uncomfortable -- I've finished several 40-60 mile rides, but rarely enjoy the last 10 or so miles. So there's still a place for help from ergonomically friendly equipment.