View Single Post
Old 01-08-17, 08:38 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
You are correct, sir, it's a mid year '88 model. So, later Wolber rim decals but still 6 speed 105. It looked awesome cosmetically and hardly used, but turned out to be a bit of a pain. Freewheel had seized, rear axle bent, half the drive side spokes were bent behind the freewheel, etc. But it cleaned up and fixed up nicely, now runs like a swiss watch.

The red one is actually dated a late '86 (note top tube decal but with plastic top tube cable guides). It may have been sold as a replacement or bare frame and fitted by the owner or an LBS, as it came to me with an interesting mix of components. Years ago I bought a similar replacement frame from an LBS that was going out of business, and like this one it was equipped with a 6207 FD and 6400 BB, same decal/guide setup.

I really like the combination of 6 speed 105 (SR500) and 7/8 speed tricolor (SR800) on these late 80's Cannondale frames. Absolutely solid bikes, with even minimal maintenance and care will last a lifetime. Fast, comfortable with the steel forks, and soooooo sexy.