View Single Post
Old 01-09-17, 09:20 PM
surfjimc
Used to be fast

Bikes: 85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Book Giveaway and Pass It On

I am moving and things have to go. I have two touring books that I really like, but need to pass along. I will give them to the first 2 people who PM me with a name and mailing address, if you agree to the following: First, like the book or not, you have to come back to the Touring Forum and give the book away again, mailing it to a new reader. Before you do that, you need to write a short note on the inside front pages. Some thought or words of wisdom about your touring experiences. You will see notes there already in there. It would be nice to see them passed around the forum until till they fall apart.
Book 1: Over The Hills by David Lamb. I really liked this book. He is a writer by trade and very good. Highlights include that he crossed the country, but didn't use the ACA maps, he went to AAA and had them help him map a route. He also loved scotch and spent time in local bars drinking. My favorite of these two books.
Book 2: Life Is A Wheel by Bruce Weber. Another cross country story written by a professional writer. Very different tenor than Over The Hills. As much about life as about touring. Great at giving you the feeling of struggling against the wind in the middle states, the kindness of people along the route, and many of the hardships that pop up.

Neither book dwells on the minutia of touring; gear lists, mileage, speed, flat tires etc. They are both about the experiences and self. I think that is why I enjoyed them both.
Have at it and pm me name, address, and which book you want. I will try to have the books in the mail by the end of the week. Just promise to pass them along. And enjoy the read!