Old 01-11-17, 02:58 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I've used the Brooks B-17, but cannot recommend that saddle due to the generally poorer leather quality of the ones made in the last few years.
The Brooks Select of today is the Brooks of old. Likewise, the Brooks Pro.
If you check the internet for "how to break in a Brooks saddle" you will find scads of home remedies - soak them in mink oil and stick them in the oven - boil them and let them dry - soak them in water and go for a ride.
All of these of these serve the goal of unnaturally softening the leather and without question shorten the life of the saddle.

I think Brooks made a choice to open themselves to a wider market by delivering softer saddles in their standard grades.

The Gyes saddles come from Taiwan - they're also sold as VO saddles. Yes, they're harder and have a longer life for it.

You and I wouldn't want a 5000 mi saddle. But most casual riders may not ride their bike 5000 mi over their lifetime use of it.

I think it would take our OP a long time to add up 5000 mi, and I'm comfortable recommending a B17 Standard Champion for him.

That said, I still think he should try the Selle Anatomica (especially for 30 days), and believe it will be just what he's asking for.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 01-11-17 at 03:28 PM.