Old 01-11-17, 03:27 PM
Heatherbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
looking for short crank arms that look nice too.

Hi, I am searching for some cranks with smaller arms for my 1980's cramerotti with campy victory. An onslaught of winter and de icer has made mincemeat of the chainrings on my campy victory cranks. It could cost less to get a new crankset than to replace the 116 bcd chainrings. I'd like to upgrade to more size appropriate cranks anyway. 160mm would be great. Some of the crank length charts suggest 155. Oddly enough I am finding it easier to find 155mm than 160mm. Companies that used to make 160mm cranks no longer do. The TA site is too frustrating and way out of budget. I do have a vintage specialties ta 160mm crank so I know how that feels. I also have a vintage raleigh with the original cottered 155mm cranks. It is in temporary retirement but I used to wonder why riding that bike felt so good and I could really move even though it was creaky and heavy.
On the internet and eBay I do find some new cranks with smaller arms, but they are either poor quality or to modern and black. In Canada the bike shops I asked could barely manage anything below 170 and claimed the sugino xd2 in 160mm do not exist....
I could get some super affordable stronglight 165mm cranks, but that rather defeats the purpose of wanting size appropriate cranks. There is a 160mm dura ace crankset on eBay for more than I'd like and would have to buy chainrings. They are from the early 70's. They would look right on the bike.
Suggestions beside home machinist shortenings?
thanks!

Last edited by Heatherbikes; 01-11-17 at 03:28 PM. Reason: word